Cinnamon rolls french toast casserole is a breakfast treat that everyone will love. It’s a great way to use a stale bread and super easy to make. You get all the benefits of French toast without standing over a hot griddle and flipping. But did you ever ask yourself what would you get if you marry French toast and cinnamon rolls? I think something like this.
Layers of rich caramel sauce, walnuts and cinnamon make this dish so decadent. You don’t have to be a kitchen wizard to get great results with this dish.
Just slice the bread…
Pour over a generous amount of caramel sauce
Sprinke cinnamon …
And pour over milk and eggs mixture
Simply assemble the night before and pop into the oven in the morning. These casserole will be a hit with kids.
- 4 oz walnuts, chopped
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 16 oz bread
- ½ cup cream
- 3 oz butter plus for greasing
- 3 eggs
- 8 oz sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- Slice the bread into 1 inch thick slices.
- Torn the slices into large pieces (about 2 inch).
- In a large bowl combine the milk, eggs and 2 tbsp of sugar.
- Cut the vanilla pod in half and scrape out the seeds.
- Add the vanilla seeds to the milk mixture to infuse and mix well.
- To make caramel, put rest of sugar in a medium pan and stir over high heat with wooden spoon.
- As soon as the sugar comes to a boil, stop stirring.
- Cook for 1 minute, then add the butter and stir until the butter is melted.
- Remove from the heat and add cream.
- Mix well until combined. Let it cool a bit.
- Generously grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter.
- Lay an even layer of bread on the bottom of the baking dish and drizzle with 1/3 of the caramel, 1/3 of the walnuts and 1 ½ tsp of the cinnamon.
- Lay another layer of bread across the first layer and drizzle with 1/3 of the caramel, 1/3 of the walnuts and rest of cinnamon.
- Pour evenly the milk mixture over the bread.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Remove the plastic wrap and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let set for 10 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream and drizzle with caramel and walnuts.
And don’t forget to use reserved caramel and walnuts. 🙂