Every time I go out for Japanese, I’m bound to find a bowl of piping hot Miso soup sitting before me. It’s the popular appetizer that makes every Japanese meal complete.
It’s a known fact that Miso soup isn’t the most difficult thing to make, with almost everyone having their own personal version of the perfect recipe.
If you’ve ever played around with your own homemade Miso soup, you’ll agree that it’s a fun mix and match recipe with only three major rules:
Add what you love, take out what you don’t, and ultimately make sure your taste buds are happy.
A friend of mine, who’s also a major Miso fan, shared her own special recipe with me. If you’re a spicy loving foodie, this recipe was created for you.
Testing your spicy limits, this Japanese Korean fusion Miso soup is filled with fiery Kimchi and Korean hot sauce. It’s also packed with all the goods of seafood, vegetables, and huge chunks of tofu, because of course, it just wouldn’t be Miso soup without the tofu.
A traditional Miso soup with a flaming spicy twist, a recipe that’s special enough to keep taste buds smiling.
- 2 tablespoons of Miso sauce
- 1 twelve ounce package of tofu
- Seafood (oysters & shrimp recommended!)
- 2 tablespoons of Kimchi (add more if you’re an extreme spicy fanatic)
- ½ an onion
- 1 zuchinni
- 2 tablespoons of Korean hot sauce
- 1 twelve ounce can of chicken broth
- 1 small white radish
- 4 cups of water
- First, marinate the seafood with cooking wine and pepper
- Boil the water and chicken broth
- Afterwards, add the Miso sauce, Korean hot sauce, and the Kimchi, then let it sit for several minutes
- Add in the tofu, then let the soup sizzle for 5-10 minutes
- Throw in the zucchini and white radish
- Last but not least, add in the seafood, with the shrimp and onions first, then the oysters after.
- Let it sit for a few minutes, and enjoy!
- Although this recipe was meant to be spicy, no worries if spicy’s not really your thing. For those of you who want to turn it down a notch, try skipping the Korean hot sauce or adding less of it, it will taste equally amazing.