In the culinary world, cupcakes are all the rage right now. If you are lucky enough to have a cupcake shop somewhere in your vicinity, you know exactly what I’m talking about. The wonderful thing about this is that we are seeing flavor and texture combinations that have never been conceived of before. Gummy worm cupcakes? Check. Captain Crunch Cupcakes? Check. If you can dream it, it can be made into a cupcake.
So if you’re a Nutella lover like I am, I’m sure you’ve already thought of (or even tried) a Nutella cupcake. These are incredible! My version features a ridiculously moist cupcake topped with fluffy Nutella buttercream and a crunchy garnish. Although, feel free to use another garnish– or none at all! I should probably warn you, it’s really, really hard to stop eating these. I am not responsible for the gluttony that will ensue after you sink your teeth into one of these bad boys.
So if you’re looking for yet another way to incorporate more creamy Nutella into your life, this has to be the next recipe on your to-do list! Sharing these is a sure fire way to acquire numerous new best friends. Not to mention, they are just plain tasty. So put on your apron and get baking!
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups Nutella, room temperature
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, chocolate, or halved Forerro Rochers
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Like 2 cupcake tins with cupcake liners to accommodate 24 cupcakes.
- In a medium bowl, beat together all of the ingredients for the cupcakes, except the Nutella, with an electric mixer until fully mixed, about 2 minutes. The batter should be very thick.
- Fill each cupcake liner with about 2 tablespoons of cupcake batter.
- Top off with about 1 teaspoon of Nutella.
- Add 1 more tablespoon of batter followed by 1 more teaspoon of Nutella.
- Using a toothpick, swirl the cupcake batter and Nutella together.
- Give the cupcake tin a good tap on the countertop to help the batter settle into the cupcake liners.
- Place the cupcakes in the oven and bake until the cupcakes are set in the middle, about 20 minutes.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- While your cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting.
- Place the butter, powdered sugar, and Nutella in a large bowl.
- Beat until fluffy with an electric mixer.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and salt, then continue beating until the frosting becomes even more light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes to your heart’s desire, top with your garnish of choice, then go to town.