When you need to satisfy your sweet tooth instantly and you want something more than a chocolate bar or ice cream, this summer berry mug cake recipe is your solution. Let’s be honest, microwave mug cakes are not as good as real cakes but they are good enough to satisfy an emergency dessert craving. The internet is full of mug cake recipes and they are mostly for chocolate cake. But these days I’m more in the mood for something decadent and fluffy with fresh summer berries.
With this recipe you are no more than 5 minutes away from a delicious summer berry mug cake. You only need a few simply ingredients, a mug, glass, jar or any other microwave safe dish and a microwave.
For best result use self raising flour. If you want to make your own self rising flour, Sift 1 cup of plain flour with ¾ tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.
If you use one egg for one mug cake, your cake will be rubbery. Use one large egg for 2 mugs.
Place 1 1/2 tbsp summer berries in each cup.
Divide the batter between the cups equally
Newer fill the mug more than half full.
Put the glasses in a microwave and after 2 minutes you will get soft, fluffy cake and the berries will burst in your mouth with each bite you take.
This recipe works with frozen berries too. What are you waiting? Capture the essence of summer in this simple made from scratch mug cake and you’ll be amazed… I know I’m!
- 4 tbsp self rising flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp grated lemon rind
- 2 handfuls mixed summer berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries… )
- In a small bowl place the egg, coconut oil, vanilla and yogurt and whisk until combine.
- In another bowl add flour and sugar and mix well.
- Add egg -yogurt mixture to the flour-sugar mixture and combine well.
- Place 1 1/2 tbsp mixed berries in each cup.
- Divide the batter between the cups equally but do not fill the cups more than half full.
- Cook your mug cakes in microwave on 850 W for 2 minutes.
- Top with remaining fresh berries, dust with powder sugar and serve hot or cold.